Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I love saving money. I guess most people do, but I really LOVE it, maybe too much at times. I don't know why it has taken me so long to make it to this place, but I decided today was the day....I went to Aldi Food Mart!

Have you been there? If so, you know why I was so excited. If not, let me tell you about it and then go find one in your neck of the woods and save your family some money on groceries too!

If that's not enough, then you should check out their Online Meal Planer!

BEFORE SHOPPING at Aldi, you need to know a few things:

1. They only take CASH, food stamps, and a handful of selected debit cards. (Your standard bank debit/credit card is not accepted. So, just run by your ATM and pick up some green.)

2. You need a quarter. If you plan on using their shopping cart, you need to insert a quarter as a deposit to use the shopping cart. You'll get it back when you leave though, so don't worry...its not a rip-off. (See pictures below)

3. Get over yourself. By that I mean, try to not be a snob and insist on name brand foods/items. Sure, some things are better than the generic. But with most things, the generic brand is often so similar to "the real thing" that you can't tell the difference. For example, I bought the kids "Toaster Tarts" instead of "Pop Tarts"....It saved me nearly $5.00!

4. They don't use grocery bags! Nope. Just like Sam's Club or Costco, you just grab some boxes along the way or bring your own bag from home. And they don't have someone to help you out to your car...you actually have to push the cart and groceries out to your own car AND load them yourself. THEN you actually have to return the shopping cart to the store. (For those of you who don't usually do that, please do it...for me!)

I used to shop at Aldi when I was in college. I used to brag that I could buy a whole months worth of food for under $50. That was about 10 years ago and my diet was primarily ramen noodles and frozen chicken, but still....$50 a month for food! That's impressive.

Today, I stopped by the bank and withdrew $100 cash and grabbed a quarter. I got excited to see they haven't changed much with the store other than updated their signage and selection.

When I shop, I turn into a little "Rain Man" version of myself. I start calculating price per unit, comparing brands, and keeping a running tally in my head. Today, I was so excited about it all that I lost track of the tally and as the lady was ringing it up, I started to worry that I would go over. I tried to assure myself that it probably happens to folks all the time, but was praying it wouldn't happen to me! She read off the total: $60.37...what?! I was way under! Woohoo!!!

Why do I love Aldi so much? It comes down to the savings. I usually budget about $100 per week for food for our family. Today, I just spent a little over $60 and I bought 2 WEEKS worth of food!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://wyvekyliwa.virtue.nu/jakutuj.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
I would like to burn a theme at here. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of ponzy-like structure, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I'm with no money problems now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I'm very close at catching at last a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Turn to my blog to get additional info.

[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of troubles when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in big initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It gets down to choose a proper partner who utilizes your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may ask, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]