Monday, June 29, 2009

Killer Punk Vampire Squirrels!

Ok, maybe the title sounds a bit dramatic, but let me tell you what happened....

This morning I had decided to take the kids to the Lake Crabtree playground. It is peaceful and beautiful and in the middle of the woods, where I could sit and just have some quiet time while the kids played on the playground.

As I pulled in, I was excited to see that no one else was there...we were going to have it all to ourselves! As I was unhooking Cody from his car seat, I heard a rumbling next to my foot. I immediately thought it was a snake, but looked down to realize that it was a squirrel!

He was only a couple of feet from me and was frozen in his squirrely stance. At first, I thought I would say, "Oh look Cody, a squirrel!" But then I figured he would run away before Cody would get to see him. Plus, I didn't want Cody chasing after him as he did the last time we went to that park.

So, I opted to just "Shoo!" him away. It didn't work. I kicked at him and he didn't even budge. He actually took a step forward. I swatted at him and he didn't budge. He moved even closer! At this moment, I was wondering why he didn't move. Any other "normal" squirrel would have ran away and up a tree. Not him, he moved even closer and was about a foot away from me with his I'm-getting-ready-to-jump-on-you stance.
I feared that he might jump into the car with my kids...that would be horrific!

I decided I really needed to protect my children at this point and pulled out my keys and jingled them in his face. Nothing. I didn't know what else to do .....so, I grabbed my purse, told Cody to scoot over and I jumped up into the car (in the back seat with the kids). I tried to close the door but my purse was caught in the door and it left about a 4inch opening. I started hearing the ee-ee-ee music from "Psycho". He had moved in even closer at that point and was ready to come in with us! Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Quickly, I pulled in my purse and closed the door. At this moment, Cody is asking me, "Mommy, what's going on?" I immediately started thinking about the situation and began laughing and said, "Mommy is afraid of a little squirrel, honey. If Daddy were here, he could help us, but I don't know what to do." He thought for a moment then asked, "Ohh, can we go to another playground that doesn't have squirrels?" That's all I needed to hear. I climbed up into the front seat and we got the heck out of there.

Looking back, I wonder.....was the reason that no one else was at the playground due to the crazy punk vampire squirrels who creep up on you and bully you into leaving? I don't know, but I'll be ready for them next time.

3 comments:

chelle fotos said...

Hilarious

Anonymous said...

I dont know what to say. This web site is amazing. Thats not truly a actually substantial statement, but its all I could come up with soon after reading this. You know a great deal about this subject. Much making sure that you produced me wish to understand additional about it. Your web site is my stepping stone, my buddy. Many thanks for that heads up on this theme.

Unknown said...

...this territorial Punk Rocker squirrel was probably there to panhandle any visitors for spare nuts! They can get very nasty if you don't offer them anything! You were lucky to get out of there unscaved and alive! ��