Thursday, September 11, 2008

Never Forget 9/11

I was getting ready to go to work that morning and was listening to Howard Stern (of all people) on the radio. They were making small talk about Pamela Anderson and then someone told Howard that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. The tone went from joking to serious as he was trying to get his producers to find out more about it.

At first, reports suggested that it was a smaller plane, like a Cesna, that accidentally ran into the tower. As the story unfolded, they started following the reports on CNN....and then the second plane hit. You know the rest of the story.


I'll never forget where I was, what I heard, what I saw, and what I felt. I'm sure you won't either.

I remember the days that followed....there was a sense of urgency to do something (anything), a feeling of patriotism, an acceptance of life's uncertainty. We were ready to fight, ready to hold someone accountable, ready to sacrifice whatever it took to find those responsible. It makes me cry to think how much we have forgotten about that day. A philosopher once said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." As sad and terrifying that day was for so many people, I hope that I never forget what happened for as long as I live.

1 comment:

Kinney Kids Parents said...

Love what you wrote! I agree 100%. Thanks for remembering and helping me to remember those feelings.