Saturday, August 25, 2007

In Memory of Grandpa Curt Nicely


The only "Grandpa" I ever knew passed away this week. He was 86 and had been married to my Grandma for about 20 years. Counting our family, he had 6 children, 19 grandchildren, 40 great-grandchildren, and 4 great-great grandchildren. Wow!


He had been a deacon at the church I grew up in and was a smiling face waiting to shake hands with everyone who entered the front doors of the church. He and my Grandma sat in the same seats (the back seats on the right) for all those years. Over the last few years, he was fighting Alzheimers and once his mind had gone, his body went too.


I remember him as a quiet man who smiled with his toothless grin. The thing I will remember most was how he made my Grandma happy. They always looked like they were lovestruck teenagers. They held hands and sat next to each other at restaurants and on the couch at home as they watched TV. He opened doors for her and they prayed together everyday. They were a cute couple who loved their life together.


Although we all will miss him here very much, we will see him again in heaven some day.

No comments: