Monday, May 26, 2008

Honoring "Maw Maw"

It will be four years ago that my sweet Maw Maw passed away - she was 88 years old - and today is about looking back and remembering those who had to leave us. Memorial Day is set aside for honoring miliary soldiers, but I know that even though she wasn't in the military, she would have earned many medals for all she did. So, I thought I would list some awards that I believe she carries with her:
  • Medals of Honor - there are so many reasons she would have won this award many times over! There are so many ways she served our family:

  • She was always cooking huge dinners, making more desserts than side dishes (I loved that!)
  • Everyday after school, I would ride the bus home and she would be standing there waiting for me to greet me at the bus - rain or shine - she was always there for me.
  • Teaching me about gardening, we grew all kinds of things in her garden (pumpkins, beans, peppers and more) & I can't look at a beautiful flower without thinking of her...she definitely had a green thumb (which I didn't inherit!)
  • She could make anything from scratch...I loved her salmon patties, fried chicken, and sweet potatoes with the marshmellows on top....yum!
  • She loved crossword puzzles and TV...we used to watch HeeHaw, M*A*S*H, Facts of Life, and every game show that ever existed.
  • She loved shopping from catalogs (she was a pioneer in online shopping before the internet)...although, she would often buy things because the models looked like people she knew (I once received a maternity top when I was 12!)
  • She was a sucker for sweepstakes....I think she was certain to be the next big winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes (Ed McMahon told her so!)

Distinguished Service Medal - she worked at a Kroger grocery store for 36 years as a check-out girl (not sure what the official title is). That was in an era before barcodes, scanners and computerized registers! After retiring, she faithfully attended her union meetings, often taking me with her. I mostly remember all the old people drinking coffee and eating donuts....I remember thinking that I wanted to join a union someday so I could have free donuts too.

She also took care of me alot while growing up. She lived right next door so her house was always my second home and where I spent most of my time. She would make sweet tea and we would sit out on her front porch and rock in her rocking chairs and just enjoy the day. I need to learn to take more time to sit and do nothing...that's definitely something I need to work on.

Legion of Merit -My grandpa died when my dad was in his teens. She talked about her "Charles" so much I always felt like I knew him. Maw Maw never drove a car and rarely ever traveled but she always had stories to share about growing up in the hills and walking to school and when she met her husband and how when they decided to get married, they went to the preacher's house and had him marry them right there while the preacher's wife played the piano. She also used to tell me about the day my dad was born...she said she just went to sleep and when she woke up she had a baby (she insists that there was no anesthesia used!)...I've seen my dad's baby pictures - he wasn't a small baby!

Purple Heart - (Purple was her favorite color!) In her later years she got Alzheimers which stole many memories from her and confused her quite a bit. It was hard on everyone to watch it progress, especially for my dad. I remember one time, she had asked a nurse if she was an angel taking her to see Jesus. (how sweet!)

She will always be remembered for her sweet personality. She was always cheerful and ready for a good chuckle. Family was important to her and she was always going out of her way to let those closest to her know how much she cared. She was a servant through and through and was always looking for ways to serve others. She taught me patience and contentment. She helped shape me into who I am today. I will always remember her and hope to let my kids know how great she was. I love you Maw Maw! : )

1 comment:

Robinson Family said...

What a great, sweet, and thoughtful blog entry. Your MawMaw would feel honored.