Tuesday, September 15, 2009

FHS Reunion Weekend - Football Game

I had the privilege to attend my 15-Year High School Reunion a couple of weeks ago. On Friday night, we went to the FHS football game. Abby stayed home with the grandmas, while Cody came along with us to his very first football game.

It was super exciting for me. I don't remember the last football game I went to & it was nice to be back at my alma mater.

As we did 15 years ago, the majorettes led the way out onto the field as the band played the Fairland school song. Nothing has changed. Same routine, same uniforms, same director. It was a little surreal to watch....like an out-of-body experience.

On our way into the stadium, Cody received a free football jersey.  Not just any jersey...it was a Fairland football jersey! He was so excited....he was yelling "football!  football! yeah, football!" He wanted to go down to the sidelines and watch the players. He didn't understand why he couldn't have the ball though and was getting frustrated. Daddy made sure to give him lots of candy, so that made things seem much better. He devoured a couple of Nerds ropes and some soda pop. He was a VERY happy boy.

My cousin Taylor was cheering....I can't believe she is old enough to be on the Varsity squad! She is growing up into the most beautiful young lady.  Cody took her some roses and gave her a hug.

 I watched the half-time show and reminisced about my years in band as a majorette. Oh, those were the days. Several of my friends were there at the game too....I got to meet their kids and spouses, many for the first time. We stayed until the end of the 3rd quarter so Cody could go to bed at a reasonable time. All in all, Cody had the BEST first football game of his life and I had a great start to my reunion weekend.

After the game, we went to a bonfire.  I played "corn hole" for the first time. It is sort of like horseshoes and beanbag toss combined. I was horrible. I only played one game and I actually won, due to the fact that Neil Johnson was my partner and he did an amazing job. So, as he put it....I am officially "undefeated" in the game of corn hole!

No comments: